The following is a comprehensive guide on how to install Directadmin on Digitalocean droplet. This guide is especially meant for beginners requiring step by step instructions for installing Directadmin. It is assumed that you already have created a droplet and that you have a clean copy of Centos 7 installed. If you haven’t signed up yet then you can use my DigitalOcean referral link and get $10 credit to your account. With that being said lets move on with the installation.
- 1 GB of memory
- 500 Mhz processor
- 2 GB of diskspace
For sites with high traffic, the requirements will obviously be more.
- A free domain that resolves to your droplet IP address.
- A Directadmin license.
- An SSH client such as Putty.
Now that you’re ready with all the requirements, lets move on with the actual installation of Directadmin on your droplet.
This guide is especially meant for beginners requiring step by step instructions
- Login as root to your droplet.
- Run the Directadmin pre-install commands.
- Download the setup file.
- Change the file permission of setup.sh.
- Run the setup.sh script.
- First login as root into your droplet via SSH.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to change the root password if you’re logging in for the first time. So change it but try to make it as strong as possible
- Once you’re in, update your Centos by running the following command.
- Next run the Directadmin pre-install commands. It installs the scripts required for running Directadmin on your droplet.
install wget gcc gcc-c++ flex bison make bind bind-libs bind-utils openssl openssl-devel perl quota libaio \ libcom_err-devel libcurl-devel gd zlib-devel zip unzip libcap-devel cronie bzip2 cyrus-sasl-devel perl-ExtUtils-Embed \ autoconf automake libtool which patch mailx bzip2-devel lsof psmisc net-tools systemd-devel libdb-devel perl-DBI xfsprogs rsyslog logrotate crontabs
- Run the following command to download the setup file.
- Make the file executable by running.
chmod 755 setup.sh
- Finally, run the setup.sh script.
Things to note during installation
- You will be asked for your Directadmin client ID and license ID number so have it ready and type in when prompted.
- You will be prompted for your hostname. Do not use your primary domain, that is domain.com. Rather use something like server.domain.com. This is because DA requires that your hostname should not be the same as your primary domain name.
- Next you will be prompted for the netword card. Choose the one that is next to your droplet’s IP address. It may look something like venet0:0 or eth0.
- When you’re prompted for the Custombuild version, you can choose Custombuild 2. The newer version of softwares such as php 5.6 and above are available only in Custombuild 2.
- The installation should take sometime depending on your choice of droplet and network availability. After the installation is complete, take note of the admin username and password.
- You can access Directadmin from your web browser by following the link http://youripaddress:2222 and login to your admin panel.
So that is how we install Directadmin on DigitalOcean Droplet