It is a common practice especially among Webmasters to develop a website locally and then export the same to the external web server upon completion. It helps in cutting down the overall time taken to develop a website because we can work a lot faster on the local environment. In this tutorial which is especially meant for beginners, you can learn how to install Joomla locally using XAMPP which supports multiple Operating Systems including Windows, Linux and Macintosh.
XAMPP is a free and easy to install Apache distribution that includes PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin and other components required to run a website.
Preparing your computer to run a Joomla website – XAMPP Installation.
- Download and install XAMPP on your computer.
- During its installation you’ll be prompted to select components, make sure you have selected Apache, MySQL, php and phpMyAdmin.
- Once you’re done with the installation, open the XAMPP control panel and start Apache and MySQL.
Creating a database
- Open XAMPP control panel and click Admin under MySQL. It should open phpMyAdmin.
- In phpMyAdmin, click on databases and create one.
Install Joomla locally using XAMPP
- Download the latest version of Joomla.
- Navigate to XAMPP > htdocs and remove the existing files there in and copy the Joomla installation package there.
- Extract the contents of the Joomla installation package.
- Open your browser and enter localhost on the address bar.
- Proceed with the installation.