Today we’re going to learn how to remove index.php from URL in Joomla so that it becomes more user as well as search engine friendly. This can be accomplished without using any third-party plugin or extension. In fact, Joomla has this covered and all we need to do is activate the feature.
Steps to remove index.php from URL in Joomla
- Login to the Control Panel of your hosting account.
- Find and rename the htaccess.txt file located in your Joomla root directory to .htaccess
- Login to your Joomla Administrator area.
- Navigate to System > Global Configuration.
- Under SEO settings, set both ‘Search Engine Friendly URLs’ and ‘Use URL re-writing’ to Yes.
- Clear the Joomla cache.
So that is how you remove index.php from URL in Joomla.